This Brussels sprout slaw is packed with vitamins and minerals that are best during this season to prevent sickness and stay healthy and strong. The best part of the salad is that you can make it from any ingredient you have at home. If you don't like fennel, use kohlrabi or beetroot, instead of kale you can go with any other kind of lettuce or leafy greens, even spinach.
GF Vegan Winter Brussels Sprouts Slaw With Mustard Orange Dressing
- 3 large kale leaves
- 6 pieces Brussel sprouts
- 1 small wedge of red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 small celery stalks
- ½ small fennel bulb
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Shred the kale into very thin strips with a sharp knife, cutting out the tough middle stem.
2. Shred brussel sprouts, red cabbage, carrots and fennel finely with a knife or mandoline.
3. Slice celery and onion finely as well.
4. Mix all the salad ingredients together apart from pomegranate.
5. Mix oil, orange and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl or jar until the dressing has emulsified.
6. Stir in the mustard and season with salt and pepper.
7. Toss the dressing through the salad until thoroughly mixed.
8. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.
Also by Imola: 5-Ingredient Sundried Tomato Walnut Sauce Pasta
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth