Fun & Flavorful Falafel Waffle Sandwich (Vegan)
- For the Falafel
- 1 1/2 cans chickpeas
- 2 tbsp sesame
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup fresh dill
- 1/3 cup flour
- For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp water
- For Frying
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- For The Filling
- 1 mini cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion (soaked in cold water)
- 1/2 cup lettuce
1. Thoroughly rinse and dry the cilantro, parsley, and dill, and remove excess stems. (This step is important to get excess dirt and sand off these herbs.)
2. Measure cilantro, parsley, and dill, and add to food processor along with rinsed chickpeas, sesame seeds, salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and flour.
3. Pulse until all ingredients are well-incorporated and the falafel mixture has a soft, but moldable texture.
4. Put in the freezer and chill for 1 hour.
5. While the falafel mixture is firming up, measure out ¼ cup tahini, ⅛ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp cumin, ⅛ cup lemon juice, 1 ½ tsp minced garlic, and 1 tbsp water. Stir until ingredients form a nice paste, just liquid enough for a sturdy sauce texture.
6. On a cutting board, slice the cucumber, tomato, and red onions into thin, sandwich-sized slices. (Note: For the red onions, I like to soak them in cold water before serving to take the bite out of the flavor.)
7. Take out the falafel mixture and heat up a waffle iron. Prior to putting your falafel mixture on the iron, make sure you brush the iron with canola oil each time. Other oils you can use include almond oil, sesame oil, and sunflower oil, as these all have high smoke points, but avoid using olive oil as this will not get your griddle up to the needed temperature.
8. Form a thin patty a little bigger than the size of your palm, and place it in the center of the waffle iron.
9. Each falafel waffle should take about 3–4 minutes, but may need more or less time depending on how crispy you’d like it.
10. Once you have two falafel waffles, add the sandwich ingredients, drizzle with the tahini sauce and enjoy!
Also by Dana: Sweet Potato Taco Boats with Cilantro Lime Sauce
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick