It is a very accurate cliche that New Yorkers make the best bagels. And let me tell you, I am a major fan of the doughy breakfast treat. I can eat them plain, stuffed with veggies or doused in any sort of delicious creamy spread. Bagels are good any way that they are prepared. I’ll admit, there have been a shameful amount of time spent looking at pictures of bagels on instagram.
Because I am someone that is consistently health and weight conscious, indulging in carb dense foods and empty calories is a rare occurrence. The other night, while I laid in bed awaiting my midnight cravings, I had an idea. Let’s make healthy foods taste like bagels. This has been an idea conceptualized before, but never in my kitchen. The components of an everything bagel seed mixture can be found in most grocery stores. One of my new favorite go-to snacks is a thin brown rice cake with vegan cream cheese, cucumber and our everything bagel mixture.
The bagel blend goes as follows:
Mix together in a small dish or tupperware
3 tsp. Sesame Seeds
3 tsp. Poppy Seeds
2 tsp. Dried Onion Flakes
1 tsp. Dried Garlic flakes
1 tsp Salt (a normal recipe would call for coarse pretzel salt but I used Pink Himalayan Salt)
So now that you have your everything bagel concoction, we can proceed to the intended recipe. Healthy, delicious, light vegan everything bagel potato salad. Now, although this salad is delectable and clean, don’t expect it to taste exactly like a New York bagel, it’s still potato salad.
“Everything Bagel” Vegan Potato Salad
- 20 Baby Potatoes (White, purple or red- I used white)
- 1/3, minced Small Red Onion
- 1, chopped Small Cucumber
- 1, chopped Carrots
- 2 cloves, chopped Roasted Garlic
- 1 TBS, chopped Fresh Dill
- 1 TBS per serving Everything Bagel Mixture
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- half of one lemon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 TBS Vegenaise (or any other vegan mayo)
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Scrub potatoes and place on foil lined baking sheet
3. Drizzle a small amount (about 1 TBS) of olive oil on potatoes and wrap them up in the foil
4.Place in oven for 45 minutes or until tender
5. Making the dressing: whisk together mustard, ACV, lemon juice and mayo. Set aside.
6. Chop up carrots, onion, cucumber, dill and garlic.
7. Let the potatoes cool down once out of the oven.
8. Cut each potato in half and put in a medium size bowl.
9. Drizzle dressing over potatoes and add all of the chopped veggies.
10. Gently toss. For each serving, sprinkle a generous amount of the everything bagel mixture on top.
11. Serve room temperature or cold. Enjoy!
More vegan salad recipes: Vegan Chickpea Caesar Salad
Photo: Samantha Matcovsky