Autumn is my favorite road tripping season, whether that be on the East Coast or West Coast. Each has a different magical spell to cast during this time of the year. It’s also where I fall in love with amazing flavor combinations that I pick up along the way. Last year, I took a trip from Los Angeles, California to Portland, Oregon and tasted so many delicious pancakes along the way. It inspired me to create a pancake that was both sweet and savory, a winning combination for sure. For breakfast or brunch, this charming pancake is deliciously versatile. You can pair it with whatever you’d like, and make the heat from the jalapeños suit your taste buds. It's a classy and interesting take on the traditional stack. Most of all, I love that they are reminiscent of my favorite comfort food, cornbread, giving me all the feels during the chillier months. Best of all? My husband loves them. They are so filling and make a great brunch staple if entertaining friends or family. They can be made big, or in silver-dollar style stacked with a toothpick and pickled jalapeño on top. Great for little get-togethers!
Vegan Jalapeno Cornbread Pancakes
Recipe Type: Breakfast
YIELDS 4-6 servings
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/4 cup nut milk
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba or egg replacer
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeños
1. Combine dry ingredients--cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt- in a mixing bowl and stir with a fork to combine. 2. Add milk, oil, and aquafaba to dry mixture and stir with a fork until all combined. Fold jalapeños gently into the mixture. 3. Grease a skillet or griddle lightly with coconut oil over medium heat. Use a paper towel to wipe up any excess oil. 4. Spoon batter onto the griddle, wait until bubbles form and flip the pancake. 5. Once pancake releases from the griddle easily, use a spatula to remove the cake and place on a plate. Top with vegan butter, additional jalapeños, and maple syrup.
Related: Vegan Oaty Sweet Potato Pancakes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Sarah Darling