Cream of mushroom soup is one of my all-time favorite soups. Earthy, savory, creamy, and full of umami flavor, there is something special about this dish. This soup is perfectly suited for this time of year when many of us are in the mood for a comforting, grounding meal.
The secret to this deep and complex soup is a three-ingredient, 30-minute mushroom stock. This simple addition takes the flavor profile to the next level. The next time you’re in the mood to curl up with a decadent bowl of velvety vegan soup, check out this recipe!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 lbs cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1 carrot
1. Soak the almonds in hot water for one hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Separate the stalks from the mushroom caps. Sauté the stalks in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add half of an onion and one carrot to the mushrooms. Pour in four cups of water, bring to a boil, lower the temperature, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. While the mushroom stock is simmering, chop and sauté the mushroom caps for about five minutes over medium heat, or until most of the liquid has been released.
5. Dice the second half of the onion and add to the mushrooms. Sauté for five minutes until the onions have softened.
6. Add the olive oil and cook for about thirty seconds before adding the flour. Cook and stir for about two minutes.
7. Add the white wine and cook for about five minutes. Turn the heat off and set aside.
8. Strain the mushroom stock.
9. Place the almonds into a blender. Add the cooked mushrooms and onions and the mushroom stock.
10. Blend on high between 30 and 60 seconds. Pour the smooth soup back into the pot. Salt and pepper as desired. Serve hot.
Also by Olivia: Marsala Braised Mushrooms
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Olivia Parr