A version of this recipe was previously published on Sweet Lancey.
These corn fritters are a fun change from old breakfast routine, and their savory goodness will make for a delightful meal or side. Pair them with vegan sour cream or a serving of avocado for a truly decadent dining experience.
Crunchy Vegan Corn Fritters
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 450g/ 16oz can of corn, drained
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine milk and vinegar and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine corn, flour, onion, chives, mustard, garlic, paprika, cumin and seasoning and mix well.
3. Slowly pour in milk and mix until just combined. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a low to medium heat. It’s up to you how much oil, just be aware that the more oil you use, the less healthy but more crispy (and delicious) your fritters will be.
5. After 30 seconds, use a half sized measuring cup to scoop up the batter and place it into the pan. You can use a spoon to flatten the batter into your preferred size.
6. Repeat the process until you have no batter left or your pan is full, flipping only when the under side of each one is brown and crispy. Add more oil as needed and make sure the temperate doesn’t get too hot, otherwise you’ll have raw and burnt fritters!
7. Add salt as you cook if desired, and serve warm with smashed avocado or vegan sour cream.
Also by Lancey: Vegan Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate Vegan Croissants)
Related: Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lancey Morris