Macaroni and cheese is one of the most iconic dishes you’ll find at a barbecue. I like bbq style food because most of the sides (collards, yams, beans, etc) are vegan and I can still eat a pretty decent plate at an event, but it still feels like something is missing. This bbq jackfruit is the perfect addition to balance out your plate.
Mac and cheese is easily my favorite comfort food and it was one of the last things I gave up before going vegan. This cheese sauce has a scoop of nutritional yeast in it to enhance its cheesy flavor as well as adding B vitamins. It has a smooth, creamy consistency and makes a wonderful substitution for a standard cheese sauce.
BBQ Jackfruit Mac And Cheese Skillet
- about 6 cups cooked pasta
- 1 tbsp earth balance butter
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 cups jackfruit
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 slice of bread
- 1/4 tsp oregano
1. In a large pot, cook pasta according to package. If you use about half of a box (16oz) of pasta, this will yield the proper amount to fill a 9 inch cast iron skillet.
2. Preheat oven to 350* F.
3. For the cheese sauce- in a cast iron skillet, heat the butter. Stir in the milk, cheese, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, Continue whisking over low heat for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts and thickens into a creamy sauce. Turn heat to low and set aside.
4. To make the jackfruit- In a small pot, heat the olive oil. Add the jackfruit, bbq sauce, brown sugar, peprika, and water. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
10. To make the breadcrumbs- Toast a slice of bread. Using a cheese grater, grate about 1/8 cup worth of the bread into a mixing bowl. Mix with oregano.
11. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the cheese sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and top with jackfruit.
12. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote