Recently, while listening to an episode of the beauty podcast Glowing Up, I was stunned by the wide breadth of skin secrets divulged by Korean beauty expert Alicia Yoon.
Yoon’s the owner of Peach and Lily, a renowned curated K-Beauty skincare site. Although Peach and Lily is not exclusively vegan, they do carry many vegan and toxin-free products.
Yoon herself has eczema and wanted to find a solution. After speaking with a chemist, she discovered that there was a testable, real-life difference between K-beauty and other products that extended beyond simply the ingredient list.
Korean Beauty can seem insurmountable with the various toners, serums, lotions, essences…It’s hard to know where to even begin.
It’s not about needing to do 15 steps… Korean Beauty doesn’t have a pre-defined certain-number-of -steps regime. Although there are, in general, more steps, it’s about gently layering things on and gently de-layering things off. The approach is akin to working out a little bit each day rather than 4 hours once a month.
Here are the basic three steps to follow for an effective K-beauty routine accoring to Alicia Yoon:
1. K-Beauty Tips for Cleansing
- A big pillar of K-Beauty is the double cleanse. You want to cleanse down to your pores AND be gentle.
- How To: First apply an oil-based cleaner directly onto your dry face. Rinse the oil-based cleanser off then use a water-based cleaner.
-Even if you have oily skin, still use an oil-based cleanser.
-If you only use a water-based cleanser, it pushes the oils back in. The two-step process allows your skin to be clean without being “squeaky-clean.”
-If you use micellar water, this can be used as your oil-based cleanser. ALWAYS wash the micellar water off.
2. K-Beauty Tips for Hydration
- This is the key step for that “lit from within” look. It additionally provides a healthy environment for your skin.
- How To: Apply a hydrating toner or an essence all over face. Be sure to check there’s no alcohol in it!
– Some people put on both an essence and a toner. However, toners can be used as essences if they also have humectants in them. Or, if your essence has pH balance, you can use it as a toner. There are additionally many hybrid toner/essence products out there.
– After you cleanse your skin, put your essence/toner on damp skin better as the product will be better absorbed.
-Want a mini facial every day? Take some toner/essence in your hand and pat it all over face. Keep doing this as many times as you’d like. 3 layers, 5 layers, 10 layers…
3. K- Beauty Tips for Protecting Your Skin
- Protection is three-fold: Sealing it all in, delivering antioxidants, and applying SPF.
- How to: In the morning apply a moisturizer then SPF. At night simply apply the moisturizer.
-Be sure your moisturizer has antioxidants in it.
Okay, so you’ve done the three main steps of K-Beauty but are looking to go a little further…
-You can do a sheet mask every day if you wish. Just be sure the formula doesn’t have a ton of alcohol, synthetic fragrances, or is meant to specifically be used once a week.
–How to: Apply the sheet mask after you tone, before moisturizer.
–Extra Fancy Pro Tip: Once the sheet mask is on, before it is completely dry, remove the sheet mask and apply a nice serum. Then replace the sheet mask and let it dry. This allows for super absorption and will give results akin to a facial.
-Sheet Masks don’t need to be done at night with a candle burning. You can do them while getting dressed, on an airplane….you name it.
Pssst: Here’s how to DIY a sheet mask without the unnecessary waste!
-With proper cleansing, you should only have to exfoliate once a week. Don’t over exfoliate!
If you’d like to listen to the podcast you can find it here or by searching Glowing Up wherever you listen to your podcasts. Happy preening, Dumplings!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Alicia Yoon via Instagram, Respective Brands