If you have ever found yourself grasping for answers, wondering why you are still not feeling better after years of countless doctors visits and what seems like every treatment known to man, you can finally stop wondering. You can finally stop grasping at thin air.
Chronic fatigue. Headaches. Migraines. Allergies. IBS. Fibromyalgia. Tinnitus. Anxiety. Depression. PTSD. Crohn’s. Arthritis. Lyme. Eczema. Psoriasis. Epstein Barr.
I can’t possibly list every mystery chronic illness here, so all you need to know is this: if you have been struggling with trying to improve your health and it seems like no matter what you try, you can’t seem to ever heal, you are not alone. There are answers out there to help your body heal completely!
Before I embraced gluten-free and plant-based diet and became an Integrative Nutrition Certified Health Coach, I suffered for years from cystic acne, severe chronic fatigue, anxiety, migraines, and more. Through the program and books like Medical Medium by Anthony William, I was able to uncover the reasons behind my years of health issues and finally heal.
I’m going to share my top 5 tips for healing the body naturally from chronic illness as I have done for myself following the Medical Medium protocol. I’ve also put my own spin on the process!
1. Drink 16 oz. of celery or cucumber juice on an empty stomach in the AM. I know this may sound strange, I thought so too when I first started, but this addition to my diet has completely turned my life around! Celery juice in particular has worked wonders for my gut. The minerals in the celery juice help restore hydrochloric acid in the gut, which is responsible for healthy digestion. If you don’t like the celery juice, go with 16 oz. of cucumber juice. Cucumber is very healing to the nervous system and very hydrating for the body.
2. Eat the heavy metal detox foods daily. Many chronic illnesses are a result of heavy metal buildup in the body and in the organs, so it is crucial to eat the foods that help remove heavy metals every day. Spirulina, barley grass juice extract, cilantro, wild blueberries and dulse (a red algae). Tip within a tip! >> after I finish my celery juice, I make a smoothie with 4 of the 5 heavy metal detox foods (everything but the dulse) so all I have to do is sprinkle some dulse on my lunch or dinner and I’m all set!
3. Move your body in some way every day. This may seem obvious, but when you are chronically ill, each day is a surprise. Movement can feel nearly impossible some days and on others, you may have enough strength and energy to go for a hike, a swim, a jog or to a fitness class. When you are in a lot of pain or extremely exhausted, movement can look like a slow walk down the street, gently bouncing on a rebounder (trampoline) or your bed just to get the lymphatic system moving, or maybe even a restorative yoga practice filled with lots of supportive props or pillows. But some days, you simply can’t. And that brings me to tip 4.
4. Show yourself an immense amount of self-love. The healing journey can be so tough. Let’s not make it harder by beating ourselves up! Forgive yourself when you slip up, laugh when something goes completely wrong and let it go, be as gentle and kind to yourself as you would to a friend going through what you are going through. You can also try visualizing speaking to a younger version of you. Would you berate little (your name) and call him or her names? Would you stay angry at him or her because they made a mistake? No way! You would hold them tight, tell them how much you love them and try to cheer them up. So do the same for you, because that inner child, is still in there 🙂
5. Develop a mindfulness practice. Notice that I didn’t specifically say “meditation.” I personally love my meditation practice, but I also encourage you to find what mindfulness practices you really love. When we love something, we are more likely to do it without having to force ourselves. Do you love to paint or draw? Are you at peace behind a camera? Do you love spending time in nature? What is it that you love to do that allows you to lose all sense of time and space? If you feel inspired, write a list of these activities and keep the list in a place where you can see it frequently. The list will serve as a reminder of your options, but also to continue practicing mindfulness when you are first getting started!
Related: The Autoimmune Protocol Changed My Life–Why It Will Make You Feel Phenomenal
How To Beat Chronic Yeast Infection For Good
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Ashley Smaldino