If I had to rate my own creations, this phenomenal black bean vegan brownies gets a perfect 11. It’s so decadent, dark, and chocolate-y, with a slight crackly crust and thick, moist, fudge-y center with plenty of chocolate chips. It’s so easy you don’t even need to mix anything or use your large bowl. It has a ton of protein and Omega-3 benefits, and no added sugar, vegan butter, or oil. Except for the chocolate chips, but they’re non-negotiable in my book. (I actually don’t think brownies without chocolate chips should be allowed. That’s like a brownie without a soul…But that’s just my philosophy). The only downfall with this brownie is that you’ll want to keep making it again and again. 🙂
Best Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
Makes 4 brownies (1 8×8″ pan)
1 can black beans, rinsed well and drained
2 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 6 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extact
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp coconut milk (as needed)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, soak dates in warm water for 5-10 minutes, or until they become soft and easy to pit just with your hands. Drain, pit, and tear into small pieces. The more diligent you are about tearing the dates, the easier it is to blend later on.
3. Soak chia seeds in another bowl until it becomes gel-like.
4. In a blender or food processor, add the beans, dates, vanilla, chia seed mixture, cocoa powder, salt, and coconut milk and blend well.
5. Carefully add baking powder. Mix it in with a spoon, close the lid, and give it a final whirl for just half a minute. Take out the blender blade, and add chocolate chips. Combine with a spoon.
6. Spoon the brownie batter into a 8×8 baking dish. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. To check, stick a toothpick about 2″ from the edge of the baking dish. If it comes out clean, take it out of the oven. The very center of the brownie will continue to set as it cools. For clean presentation, cool completely before cutting. This brownie tastes great warm, and even better when it’s room temperature or cold.
Also see: Super Moist Zucchini Bread
Love this article? Keep up-to-date on the latest from Peaceful Dumpling: Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling