Do you use coconut oil? I do! Though this creamy, heavenly-smelling oil has been one of the hottest new health trends in the past five years, it’s still easy to misunderstand it–after all, we’d been taught for decades on the evils of saturated fat. But if you have been holding onto any doubts, here are some of the amazing benefits of coconut oil.
1. Virgin coconut oil has no trans fat. Studies have shown that trans fat not only makes you gain new weight, but will actually tell your body to move current fat to your stomach, increasing visceral fat. Visceral fat is the most dangerous kind of fat out there, known to cause type 2 diabetes, coronary artery disease, metabolic syndrome, and sleep apnea. To sum it up, dodging trans fat can save your life! Trans fats are found in many vegetable shortenings, butter, and certain types of margarine. Luckily those can all easily be replaced with coconut oil! Not only is it healthier, but I also find it helps your food taste even better!
2. Coconut oil can not only help you keep off the pounds, but it can help you lose them. Coconut oil is known to give you energy and boost your metabolism. Add that to a daily exercise routine and you’re good to go!
3. Coconut oil can be used to make all-natural toothpaste! Typical toothpaste is full of different toxic ingredients, such as fluoride. If you’re one of the many people looking for alternative toothpaste, look no further, because coconut oil just may be what you’re looking for. According to recent studies by the Athlone Institute of Technology, coconut oil has been shown to successfully kill off a majority of the bacteria in your mouth, but it was mainly deadly to candida albicans. Candida albicans can cause yeast infections, often resulting from a bad diet that consists of processed or sugary foods. Healthy gums, good breath, and white teeth sound good to me! Try getting all of that out your regular toothpaste without taking in toxins!
4. Coconut oil can be used for all kinds of beauty treatments. From preventing your dandruff to taking off your makeup, coconut oil can do it all!
5. Coconut oil strengthens your immune system. With the flu season upon us, you have to build up your immune system. Adding coconut oil to a stable, healthy diet allows your body to fight back whatever is trying to bring you down. Coconut oil has high levels of Lauric Acid, which is known to kill pathogens and stop harmful infections.
Coconut Oil Toothpaste Recipe
(from Organic_Olivia on Instagram)
6 tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil
6 tbsp. Baking Soda
25 Drops Essential Oil (Cinnamon, Oregano)
1 tsp. Stevia or Birch Xylitol
Blend all the ingredients together thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.
Coconut Oil Tips & Tricks
1. Makeup Remover: Apply directly to face, or let it set on skin with a cotton pad. Make-up will run right off.
2. Lip Balm: Smooth over lips like an other lip balm.
3. Under-eye Cream: Dab some coconut oil on bags under your eyes and fine lines.
4. Settle your frizz: Get a dime-size amount in your hands and smooth from middle to ends.
5. Dandruff Treatment: Apply lightly to roots and massage in nightly. This also helps if you want to give your hair growth a kick start.
6. Body Oil: Rub on wet skin after bathing and pat dry.
7. Itch Relief: Bug bites and burns can all be soothed with coconut oil.
8. Oil pulling: An Ayurvedic morning ritual, oil pulling promises to get rid of harmful pathogens for better health and cleaner teeth. Take a teaspoon in your mouth, and hold for thirty seconds, swooshing it around like mouthwash. Spit out.
9. Body scrub: Coconut oil makes an amazing body scrub combined with a few other ingredients! We love this Lavender Coconut Oil Scrub with sea salt and brown sugar (yum).
What’s your favorite way to use coconut oil?
Photo: Meal Makeover Moms via Flickr