Fall is such a fun time for beauty and fashion—the cool air and dynamic weather lend the perfect opportunity for experimenting with your style and taking a few risks.
7 Ways to Spice Up Your Look This Fall
1. Try a headband. The headband is one of the most user-friendly hairpieces—regardless of your hair length and texture. The current style of headband is slightly edgy and very sexy. The look is Brigitte Bardot meets Chanel model. Don’t be afraid to try a bold version of this look, especially if you’re attending a glam party or having a night out on the town. Pair your headband with light-catching earrings or a hair pin. For the best results, add a little volume to your roots and smolder away…
2. While we’re on the topic of dazzling accessories, let’s talk earrings. I normally wear unobtrusive studs, and I’ve come to think of them as “placeholder” earrings—just something I can wear without giving much thought to the matter. But earrings, like hair pieces, are meant to be more fun than that, right? If you’re stuck in an earring rut, try wearing a pair of statement earrings (with your t-shirt and jeans!)—or try the bold and daring single earring trend.
Turn heads by wearing a single statement earring.
3. Opt for notice-me nails. You’ve got several options for your next mani: textured nails, glittery nails, negative space nails, nail wraps, and “shattered glass” nails. Make a night out of it, and invite your girlfriends over for a festive manicure party. Don’t forget to Instagram your results!
4. Tired of contouring? Try strobing. Put the matte bronzer down. Strobing is the new, go-to technique to emphasize your cheekbones and give your skin a gorgeous glow. What it strobing? Essentially, it’s very generous highlighting. Apply highlighter where the light naturally hits your face: cheekbones, brow bones, the center of your forehead, chin, and nose). If you tend to be on the oily side, skip your T-zone, and just concentrate on your cheekbones.
5. Try a different hair texture. It may be a big ordeal to change our hair texture semi-permanently (i.e. getting it chemically straightened/permed), but a little heat styling—whether you’re curling or straightening your hair (or doing something in-between)—can completely alter your look for the day and save you from a hair rut (we’re all about breaking ruts in this post!). I love the look of loose waves with good volume pair with a chunky, off-the-shoulder sweater.
Loose waves are perfect for fall.
6. Try a big watch. The last time I wore a watch for an extended about of time was probably when I was in the fourth grade. My watch was black and rubbery, and its little digital face would light up blue if I pressed the right button. Lately, however, I’ve been enjoying my large, round-faced analog watch. Something about it feels classy and “adult,” even if the face is exaggeratedly large!
7. Most important of all, don’t “save up” your glam for a big event. I often get into the mindset that I shouldn’t invest as much time in my makeup or hair if I don’t have something “important” to go to. But every day is an opportunity to feel like your best self—so wear your finest perfume on a Tuesday. Wear that new hair accessory “just because.” Put on your lipstick when you’re working at home. Enjoy yourself 🙂
Are you trying anything new with your look this season?
Photos: Anthropologie, MidSummer Blooms via Etsy, Nasty Gal, Madeline Poole via Instagram, Galaxies and Hurricanes via Flickr, Amazon