That’s fine for breakfast, but what if you want something a little smoother, a little more cake-y? So this time I steamed the carrots instead of just using raw shredded carrots and voila! It made all the difference. I was so surprised by how well “done” it was (no crumbs left on the toothpick!) while still being incredibly moist and soft. The coconut that is also mixed in gives it a subtle crispness to the bite. You can feel free to add in raisins or nuts as you wish–this time I just enjoyed mine without the extras and it was just as delicious. But don’t skip frosting! Otherwise it’s just a muffin. 🙂
Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe with Cashew Cream Frosting
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil or another vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut shreds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Trim and chop the carrots and steam for 4-5 minutes until soft. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a blender or food processor, add carrots, oil, milk, vanilla, salt, spices, sugar, and chia seeds and blend until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut shreds, and baking powder with a fork. Add wet ingredients and mix together quickly to combine.
4. Add to lined cupcake tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until the fork comes out clean. (I took mine out at 22). Chill completely and top with cashew cream.
For Cashew Cream:
Take 1 cup cashews and soak in water for at least 3 hours. The longer you soak them, the easier and faster it will be to blend smoothly. Drain, and blend with 2 tsp coconut oil, 3-4 tbsp non dairy milk (as needed), 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 2 tbsp powdered sugar.
Vegan Sour Cream Cake
Love this article? Keep up-to-date on the latest from Peaceful Dumpling: Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling