It's super yummy and not difficult to make at all. Important is the sauce, so that everything sticks together right! :)
Yummy Vegan Sushi Feast
- For the rice sauce:
- 800 ml White Vinegar
- 450 to 500 grams Sugar
- 150 grams Salt
- 7 grams Kombu (thick seaweed) optional
- For the sushi rolls:
- 2 cups Sushi Rice (short-grain rice)
- 2.5 cups Water
- Vegetables (use your favorites)
- Fried Tofu
- Cooked Sweet Potato
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Seeds, Chips, Beetroot
For the rice sauce:
1. Cook the vinegar, sugar and salt until everything has dissolved.
2. Put in the fridge to cool.
Note: The recipe yields a lot of sauce and it can be kept for months so you don’t have to make new one every time.
For the Sushi:
1. Cook the rice. For every two cups use 2.5 cups water. Once done, add the rice sauce (half a cup for 2 cups of rice). Let it cool in the fridge or freezer until it reaches room temperature.
2. Wrap your sushi mat with cling wrap on both sides.
3. Cut your seaweed sheets in half (otherwise the rolls will be to big) and put on your sushi mat.
4. Add some rice and press down. Make sure your hands are a bit wet so that everything sticks better together.
5. Add the ingredients of your choosing. Make sure everything is sliced very thin, otherwise your rolls will break. And do not add too many ingredients to one roll.
6. Roll and press together.
Alternatively to step 5, flip the roll once you have pressed down the rice and then add your ingredients to create some yummy inside-out rolls.
7. Cut in small pieces (around 7–8 per roll), place on a plate and decorate with spring onions, sesame seeds, sauce and any toppings you’d like.
Note: as ingredients I like to use the following:
I also usually add vegan cream cheese or even hummus to the rolls and then top them with some sweet and sour sauce or vegan mayonnaise and sprinkle them with some beetroot flakes. For a little extra crunch, add some potato chips on top. Instead of nor sheets you can also use rice paper.
My favorite combination is definitely Mango-Avocado. Try it! 🙂
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rebecca Willem