- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for veggies)
- 3 cups kale
- 3/4 cup corn (kernels from 1 ear)
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 large heirloom tomato
1. Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a medium bowl. Add water and oil. Combine gently with hands, then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball for a few minutes.
2. Drizzle some olive oil in your bowl to coat it lightly, then toss the ball of dough back in to coat the sides with oil. Cover with saran wrap, and place the bowl on the stove or another warm place to rise for about 2 hours. The dough should double in size, roughly.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and press out the air with your hands. Knead again, reforming the ball, and replace it in the bowl, cover, and let set for another 20 minutes.
For the pizza:
4. While the dough is rising (you'll have plenty of time!), prepare the vegetables. Remove stems from kale and chop; cut the kernels of corn off the cob (it's helpful to place the ear in a bowl, to catch the jumpers); thinly slice the pepper, onion, and tomato.
5. Place the corn, onion, and pepper in a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil and salt. Set aside.
6. When the dough is all set, press it into your baking sheet. Be precise and patient with this; it won't be even, but there shouldn't be any especially thin places.
7. Top dough with the onion, pepper, and corn combination. Bake in a 500-degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the crust starts to turn just golden on the edges.
8. Add the tomatoes and kale (it's okay to go heavy with the kale; since it shrivels up, it can look like a green blanket). Bake for another 5-6 minutes or until kale is crispy. Turn off the oven, and leave the pizza in the oven for another 5 minutes so it settles without the crust turning too brown.
9. Top with additional spices (oregano, basil, nutritional yeast), if you must. Enjoy!
Also by Jennifer: Raw Vegan Superfood Chocolate Smoothie
Related: Vegan Thin Crust Pear Pesto Pizza
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Jennifer Kurdyla