The fall season is in full swing and with that comes an onslaught of pumpkin flavored delights. A thick slice of pumpkin bread to accompany a glass of hot apple cider. Pumpkin cheesecake to savor while carving a jack-o-lantern for your front porch. Or some pumpkin pie oatmeal to start your day off as you soak in the autumnal magic that comes with the change in seasons. (That is unless you live in a place like Los Angeles where the weather conditions simply don’t care that it’s October). Regardless of what kind of weather you’re facing, this festive culinary occasion shows no signs of stopping till we dust off the Christmas decorations. But let’s not forget about the classics amidst this seasonal shift. Chocolate flavored anything withstands every season and continues to be a faithful companion any time of year. Always have and always will. And these chocolate chia muffins topped with chocolate avocado frosting will certainly have your back – no matter where you are or what season it may be. Made with nourishing ingredients such as cacao powder, avocado and chia seeds – these can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a mid-day pick me up, or a post-dinner dessert. Free from any processed sugars and made with only whole ingredients, rest assured that your sweet tooth will be satisfied and your body will thank you for such a nutrient-rich decadence.
Vegan Muffin Recipes: Chocolate Muffins with Avocado Frosting
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 6 muffins
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp chia in 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp raw honey
- a pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 1/2 tbsp cacao powder (for frosting)
- 2 tbsp raw honey (for frosting)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
1. Combine the chia seeds and water. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. 2. Combine and sift the dry almond meal, cacao powder, salt and baking powder. 3. Combine the dry and wet ingredients in a food processor or an electric hand blender. 4. Spoon mixture into a lined muffin tin. Baking in the oven for 5 minutes then reduce the temperature to 325. Bake for another 15 minutes or until cooked through. Use a toothpick to make sure they have completed baked. For the avocado frosting: Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth. You can adjust the amount of cacao powder and honey based off of your sweetness level preferences. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, top with frosting.
Get more like this--Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Elizabeth Pereira