When I have a week that’s packed with drama (and not the good kind), I certainly appreciate a nice alcoholic beverage, but my two favorite adult drinks (wine and gin & tonics) never leave me feeling that much better. Sometimes just a few sips of wine give me a headache!
Plus, my spirits (no pun intended) are always lifted when I consciously do something good for my health–like drink some organic tea, make a soup from scratch, or whip up a quick drink with a few fresh ingredients. This vegan mocktail recipe for a “cucumber mule” swaps fresh ginger and club soda for the ginger beer in a traditional Moscow mule. My version also features cucumber–making it all the more refreshing and hydrating.
It’s no hot toddy, but I hope this healthy twist on a delicious classic puts the pep back in your step!
Refreshing Vegan Cucumber Mule
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2-inch knob ginger root, peeled
- 24 oz. chilled club soda, unsweetened and unflavored
- 6 drops liquid stevia
- juice of one lime
- lime wedges for garnish
1. Slice cucumber into rounds or small chunks. Mince ginger. Using a muddler or a mortar & pestle, muddle the cucumber and ginger until you have a pulpy mess. (Just smash things real’ good.)
2. Add the muddled cucumber and ginger to a large glass jar. Add the club soda, lime juice, and stevia. Close tightly and shake. You can move on to the next step immediately, or you can let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to intensify the flavor.
3. Strain the mixture into glasses (or copper mule mugs), and add a few ice cubes. Garnish with lime wedges and cucumber rounds. Serve immediately.
Related: Strawberry Ginger Kombucha Mocktail
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell