It’s no secret that I love my pies. But once I started making my own, I realized that it takes a lot of oil / vegan butter to make a crust that tastes good, isn’t overly dry, and doesn’t fall apart. That’s a worthwhile investment for the holidays, but for everyday meals, I prefer foods that are more high protein, and lower in fat.
Enter this delicious vegan tomato mushroom avocado quiche! First of all, it has almost zero oil, and if you have a well-used cast iron skillet, the thing almost cooks itself. I used tofu for added protein, and polenta for firmness and savoriness. And the combination of toppings–juicy plum tomatoes, avocado, and shiitake mushrooms–just work so well here. Make this for brunch or healthy lunch any day–I’m sure you’ll start eating quiche a lot more!
Vegan Tomato Mushroom Avocado Quiche
- 1 package silken tofu
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp (plus more to taste) salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- cayenne dash
- 1 tsp agave
- to taste fresh black pepper
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- to coat the pan Olive oil
1. Heat oven to 350* F.
2. Blend the tofu, polenta, spices, agave, water, and salt in a blender. Once done, do a taste test and adjust salt to taste.
3. Add a few drops of oil to your cast iron skillet and spread it around. I used very little and there was no sticking–but you might need more with a pan of different material. Pour the tofu mixture and pat down.
4. Add tomato and shittake slices in an arrangement most pleasing to your eye 🙂 and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins.
5. Take out of the oven and add avocado slices, and bake for another 5-10 minutes until edges are golden brown and pulling away from the sides.
6. This quiche is good when hot but **much better** when it’s cooled down and the flavors have had a chance to settle, at room temperature. Bon appetit!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling