Whenever I’m baking, I like to include fresh fruit into whatever recipe it is that I’m making. I had a bunch of these ripe kiwi on my counter so I mashed a few up and used them to add some flavor to my cupcakes. Next time I make these, I want to try topping them with a strawberry frosting as strawberry kiwi is a classic flavor combo.
Vegan Golden Kiwi Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup kiwi purée
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk yogurt
- For the frosting:
- 3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp solid vegan butter
- 3 tbsp kiwi purée
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the kiwi purée, melted butter, vanilla extract, and plain yogurt.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well until combined.
5. Pour batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare your frosting. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat well, until smooth and creamy.
7. Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote