The squash flavor in this recipe is totally masked by the addition of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. I shared these cupcakes with many people without mentioning that there was squash in them, and not a single person noticed. This is a great way to sneak in some veggies for a picky eater, or to feel less guilty about indulging in a deliciously sweet treat. These are so rich and decadent on their own that you could skip the frosting if you don’t feel like taking the extra few minutes to make it.
Vegan Double Chocolate Summer Squash Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (about 1 1/2) yellow squash, shredded
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a cupcake tin with liners.
2. Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
3. Add the milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Fold in the squash and chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into cupcake tin and bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
6. While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Cream the butter using a mixer and then add the rest of the ingredients, continuing to beat until smooth and fluffy.
7. Once cupcakes are cooled, frost and serve. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote