These cookies are so moist and chewy and have the perfect amount of sweetness from the frosting. I topped my cookies with crushed almonds but you can substitute pecans or walnuts, or leave them out all together. You can use pre-shredded carrots, but I just blitzed two large carrots in a blender and they worked wonderfully. This recipe can easily be doubled if you are sharing with a large amount of people.
Vegan Cream Cheese Carrot Cake Cookies
- 1 tbsp Bobs Red Mill egg replacer
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- For the frosting:
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt sea salt
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- walnuts to top
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the egg replacement and water and set aside to thicken.
3. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and spices to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and the egg replacement and beat for another minute.
5. Stir in the carrots.
6. Stir in the flour and mix until a dough ball forms.
7. Roll balls of cookies about 2 inches each and drop onto a cookie pan with a couple inches between them.
8. Bake for 12–15 minutes on two parchment lined cookie sheets.
9. While the cookies are baking, prepare the frosting.
10. Add the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt to a mixing bowl and beat until combined.
11. Slowly add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy.
12. Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
13. Top with crushed walnuts.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Lilac Lemon Cake
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote