There are some weeks when no matter what you do, external forces just pile it on you. "It" being unexpected car repairs, a nasty cold you can't shake, and a host of other obstacles (I won't even get into my city's tap water crisis!). And even if you avoid letting these things totally get you down, it's natural to need some recovery time. After all, our day-to-day struggles can drain precious mental and spiritual energy. This past weekend, I indulged in a few activities to revive my soul. The first and most obvious event was a DIY mani (of course!), followed by a trip to my beauty lab (a.k.a the kitchen) where I concocted a luscious facial serum with pomegranate oil and frankincense. Finally, I baked a batch of these sinfully simple vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies. They're a great treat if you want something sweet and fast that doesn't require a lot of special ingredients. They're also a great compromise between banana bread and traditional chocolate chip cookies. I hope you enjoy them--and I hope you find a way to nurture your spirit during these busy holiday hours!
Vegan Cookie Recipes: Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS about 15 cookies
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 ripe banana (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/2 banana (chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Set aside. 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk well. 3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine coconut oil, mashed banana, and liquid sweetener. Stit well. 4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until *just* combined, no more. Add shredded coconut, banana chunks, and vegan chocolate chips. Fold until evenly distributed. 5. Create 1" balls with the dough and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden. Allow to cool before eating. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Related: Cherry Almond Muesli Cookies
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Vegan and Gluten-Free Blackout Cookies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell