Also currently in season are radishes of many different varieties. I got a beautiful bag of multi colored radishes and tossed them with some scapes to use as the filling of a galette. Before baking, radishes have a spicy and zesty flavor to them, but they mellow out after being cooked. Galettes are so easy and fun to make, and they give off a classic, rustic vibe. Feel free to play around with whatever herbs and vegan cheese you want to add.
Vegan Roasted Radish Garlic Scape Galette
- For the dough:
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup plain cashew yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp cold water
- For the filling:
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 cup radishes, sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan feta crumbles
- 1/2 tbsp almond milk
1. Begin by preparing the dough for the galette. Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
2. Add the butter and cut it into the flour using a fork or your hands. The dough should be crumbly.
3. In a small whisking bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, and water. Pour into the bowl with the flour.
4 .Mix well until a dough ball forms, Wrap in saran and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. While dough is chilling, you can prepare your filling. Add the olive oil over low heat to a small pan. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a couple minutes until browned and soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, toss the garlic scapes and radishes together with the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
7. Remove dough from fridge and preheat oven to 400°F.
8. Roll dough out into a circle and transfer to a baking sheet lined in parchment paper.
9. Spread the sautéed garlic and onions around the center of the galette. Add the garlic scape and radish mix and layer it well in the center. Top with crumbled feta.
10. Fold the edges up around the filling. Brush the edges with almond milk before baking.
11. Bake for 40 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool on a wire rack.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote