Italy has so many different traditions depending on where you go, especially concerning food. This is a dish from Puglia, in the South: orecchiette (a type of pasta) with turnip greens, a simple yet very flavorful meal. It's easy to make and very nutritious and filling. You can also have the sauce with other types of pasta if you prefer!
- 400 grams Orecchiette
- 500 grams Turnip greens
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- To taste Salt
- To taste, optional Chili flakes
- Wash turnip greens under lukewarm water and then remove stems.
- Cook orecchiette (or your favorite pasta) in salted water, adding turnip as well.
- In a pan, sautè garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Drain pasta and turnip greens and throw them in the pan with garlic and olive oil. Cook at high heat for a few minutes. If you like, you can add chili flakes as well.
Photo: Anna Vaccari