Italy has so many different traditions depending on where you go, especially concerning food. This is a dish from Puglia, in the South: orecchiette (a type of pasta) with turnip greens, a simple yet very flavorful meal. It's easy to make and very nutritious and filling. You can also have the sauce with other types of pasta if you prefer!
Orecchiette With Turnip Greens (A Traditional Recipe From Puglia)
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 4 servings
- 400 grams Orecchiette
- 500 grams Turnip greens
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- To taste Salt
- To taste, optional Chili flakes
- Wash turnip greens under lukewarm water and then remove stems.
- Cook orecchiette (or your favorite pasta) in salted water, adding turnip as well.
- In a pan, sautè garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Drain pasta and turnip greens and throw them in the pan with garlic and olive oil. Cook at high heat for a few minutes. If you like, you can add chili flakes as well.
Photo: Anna Vaccari