I used oyster mushrooms in my recipe but any variety of mushrooms will work. I also used mushroom broth but feel free to use whatever vegetable broth you have on hand. I like to eat this while it’s still warm but it also tastes good served cold as a sort of pasta salad.
Creamy Vegan Mushroom And Pea Orzo
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 small diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 cup canned peas
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
1. In a large pot, add the butter and heat it over medium until it melts. Add the diced onion, bell pepper, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes, until the onions begin to brown.
2. Add the thyme, rosemary, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper and stir well to season.
3. Pour the orzo into the pot and mix well until coated with butter and seasoning.
4. Add the broth, almond milk, and yogurt and stir well until combined. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the orzo is soft, stirring often.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the peas and scallions.
Also by Lauren: Vegan French Onion Lentil Stew
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote