April is known in Hungary as the “month of fool weather.” And this time it really proves it. One day it’s 28 Celsius degree and sunny, next day 8 Celsius and raining cats and dogs, or even snowing in some places. So this time the best food is something you can serve hot to comfort yourself on cold days, or cold to cool down on the hotter days of the month. This creamy root veggie soup is perfect for both.
Creamy Root Veggie Soup With Vegan Sour Cream
- 4 large pieces carrot, sliced
- 2 small turnip, sliced
- 1 small celery, sliced
- 1 small kohlrabi, sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs flour
- 8 large pieces potato, sliced
- 1 tbs sweet paprika powder
- to taste salt, pepper, marjoram, parsnip
- 1,5 L veggie broth
- 100 ml vegan sour cream
1. Heat up the oil in a large pot and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add the rest of the veggies as well.
2. Remove from the heat and mix in the flour and paprika powder. If you don’t remove from the heat the paprika can burn easily and it will taste bitter, so don’t skip this step.
3. Add the veggie broth to the pot and cook the veggies for about 20-25 minutes. Mix it well so the flour wont stick to the bottom of the pot. Add salt, pepper and the herbs.
4. When the veggies are tender, turn off the heat and mix in the vegan sour cream.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth