Garlic can vary in flavor depending on how you prepare it. Roasted garlic has a deep, nutty flavor while smashed garlic is more sharp and spicy. I combined both of these and blended them into a creamy and complex soup. You can play around with what you have available to use for the toppings on this soup. Croutons, shredded vegan cheese, or an olive oil drizzle would go well. I ate this alongside a green salad with a slice of french bread to make a hearty, substantial meal.
Creamy Vegan Roasted Garlic Soup
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled (about 12 cloves)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- half head garlic, peeled and smashed (about 6 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chiffonaded
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add garlic to a small baking dish and coat in olive oil. Cover and bake for about 40 minutes, until brown and tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. While garlic is roasting, bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the potato for 7-10 minutes, until it can be pierced with a fork. Strain and set aside.
3. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté for a couple minutes.
4. Add the roasted garlic, smashed garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté for another couple minutes.
5. Pour in the vegetable broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, until the smashed garlic is soft.
6. Remove from heat and blend smooth with a hand blender. Alternatively, let it cool before pouring into a blender to blend.
7. Pour puréed soup back into pot. Stir in the vinegar and parsley.
8. Add the potatoes and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote