I've never been to Corfu but this cake took me there with the familiar zesty and fresh citrus flavors and the pleasantly sweet maple syrup. The rosemary is just as aromatic as you'd need to give the cake a surprising twist. Just like our family is, when we miss them.
GF Vegan Citrus Polenta Cake With Rosemary
- 5 oranges
- 5 blood oranges
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 vegan eggs of your choice
- 100g ground almond
- 100g GF flour
- 100g polenta
- 200ml olive oil
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 ts dried, chopped rosemary
- 1 fresh rosemary spring
- of 1 lemon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a baking sheet of your choice with margarine or line it with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Squeeze the juice of 3 blood oranges into a small saucepan, add the sugar and whisk to combine. Simmer the mixture over medium low heat until the thickens then remove from heat. Add the rosemary spring and leave to cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil with the maple syrup for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in the vegan eggs and whisk on high speed for 2 minutes. Using a spoon now, mix in the zest in 2 oranges and 1 lemon add the ground almonds, polenta, dried rosemary and the juice of an orange and a blood orange.
4. Pour the mixture in the prepared baking tin and bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake golden brown and an inserted tooth pick comes out clean from the middle of it, then leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
5. Remove the rosemary from the syrup and and pour it all over the cake.
6. Decorate with sliced oranges, lemon and blood oranges.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth