The Best And Creamiest Tofu Scramble
- 1 block (I use tofooco) Firm tofu
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 1–2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce/tamari/ soy sauce alternative
- 1 tablespoon Coconut yoghurt
- Big handful Spinach
- 6–8 Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
1. Prep all your ingredients. Mince your garlic so it’s nice and fine, or use a garlic press.
2. Cut your mushrooms into quarters. If you are wishing to use other veg, this is your time to cut them all up.
3. Place your pan on the hob on medium heat, let it start to heat and add your oil.
4. Once hot, add your garlic and cook it till it starts to become fragrant.
5. Next add your mushrooms, let them start to soften.
6. If you would like to add any other veg, such as aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, etc, this is the time to add them. Let them soften, you can add the soy sauce here or half a cup of water if your veg is taking a while to soften.
7. Once the mushrooms are soft begin to crumble in your tofu, breaking it off the block with your fingers, add the soy sauce once the tofu is in the pan.
8. Once mixed, add the turmeric and nutritional yeast, mix until the tofu begins to go a yellow color.
9. Let the tofu start to soften and break up a little bit.
10. When soft enough, you can add in your yogurt, this will give the scramble a creamy consistency.
11. You can add more yogurt for a creamier taste. Also add in your spinach now and let it wilt, keep stirring so it softens.
12. Once the scramble is fully cooked through its time to serve!
I love to serve it with fresh sourdough or a nice flat bread. It goes brilliant with avocado too, vegan bacon or even with pasta! It’s a very versatile dish so let your imagination run wild. Feel free to vary the spices, for example add some smoked paprika for a slightly oaky taste, or cumin for a more Mediterranean flavor.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Clemency Drew