- A version of this post first appeared on The Balancing Act.
“Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?” –Mary Oliver
I’m a self-confessed adrenalin junkie. So I find that when I get caught up in the daily mundane tasks and the routine of life, I get REALLY bored. Sometimes I feel like I’m floating through life as the time passes by. I’ve learned that when I start to feel like this, it’s time to shake things up, get the heart pumping and invigorate the soul.
So if you’re feeling a little bored with life and you want to do something to make you feel more alive again, here are my tips:
1. Go to the ocean. The ocean always makes me feel relaxed and alive. Do a road trip or organize a weekend away if you don’t live close. Feel the ocean breeze on your face, the sand between your toes and the fresh, salty water splash on your face. Close your eyes and just let go of everything.
2. Get creative in the kitchen. Make something that you wouldn’t normally make and let your taste buds explode with deliciousness. Choose an ingredient that you’ve never cooked with before or write down the names of 10 weird, strange or new restaurants, put them in a hat and pick one out–it’s bound to keep even the most jaded foodies on their toes! One of my besties and I used to do this when we lived together (mainly because we were so indecisive) and my partner and I have a jar full of pieces of paper with different cuisines written on it. When we don’t know what we want to cook on a Sunday night, we let the jar make the decisions for us. It definitely makes things fun!
3. Get in touch with nature. Go for a hike, choose a new running path or go for a walk in the bush. (Note: If you’re going solo and thinking about venturing off the beaten track then make sure you tell someone where you’re going.) Or pack a picnic lunch and take a friend or a group of people with you. Feel the sun on your skin, listen to the sound of the birds and breathe in some fresh air. Take a moment or two and look around, contemplate just how good it is to simply be alive. Right here and right now.
4. Do something you’ve never done before. If you’re an adrenalin junkie like me, then I’d recommend going skydiving, snowboarding, or learning how to surf. But if you’re not so keen on that, sign up for a class doing something you’ve always wanted to do: Photography, pole dancing, painting, how to build a website, or even a new language. There’s something for everyone out there, we’re kind of spoiled for choice. You might have to make an effort to settle on something that truly interests you but it will be worth it. The search itself is part of the fun!
5. Be spontaneous. When you have a job, commitments and bills to pay, it’s best to be organized and plan things; but boy, I miss being spontaneous. I fought off having a routine and planning things for so long before setting my priorities. BUT sometimes you do still NEED to be spontaneous. Seek adventure and book that holiday you’ve been thinking about or jump in the car and go a road trip. Whatever it is let your adventurous side take control for a little while. In the name of Nike, just do it!
Take a risk, try something new or change the way you would ‘usually’ do something. Life really is what you make it so stop sitting on the sidelines and make having fun a priority, too.
What makes you feel more alive, bright-eyed and happy?
Also by Amelia: Why It’s Okay to Feel Burned Out – and 5 Ways to Recover
Related: 5 Ways to Live Your Best Life
Photo: https://unsplash.com/morgansessions; Amy the Nurse via flickr/Peaceful Dumpling; https://unsplash.com/thehungryjpeg