Nostalgic and normally not considered a health food, French fries are an American favorite. No oil is used in this recipe, but the potatoes end up crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. I love to eat them with lemon juice drizzled on top with lettuce leaves!
Fat Free French Fries
Potatoes (as many as you’d like)
Italian herbs, pepper, garlic powder (optional)
1. Peel and cut your potatoes into fry shapes. Place in a pot and fill with water, adding some salt to make the water boil faster. Turn the heat to high and boil the potatoes until able to poke through a piece with a fork, but not so soft it breaks (20-30 minutes).
2. Preheat the oven to 425. Take the potatoes off the heat and drain the water.
3. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the potatoes on top. Dust with Italian herbs, pepper, and garlic powder if desired (they’re good plain too). Put in the oven and turn over when crisp (you can poke them with your finger when you check, but take them out of the oven first!) on one side, at least 15-30 minutes per side.
4. They won’t all be done at the same time, so it does take quite a bit of patience, but I just snack on the smaller pieces while I wait 🙂
5. Take out of the oven and sprinkle with lemon juice if desired.
Photo: Jessica Ferguson