In honor of Mother’s Day this weekend (and as an excuse to procrastinate on my senior thesis project), I’ve decided to bake batches of muffins as a yummy surprise for when my mom visits me next week. After coming across Solveig Berg Vollan’s Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe, I was inspired to create my own version of double chocolate chip vegan muffins with an emphasis on dates, that gives this recipe a satisfyingly chewy and sweet kick. While these muffins taste sinfully delicious, they are actually a completely guilt-free treat! The muffins contain no sugar or oil and can be made gluten-free, which comes as quite a shock when you take a bite into the rich chocolaty goodness!
Double Chocolate Chip Date Muffins
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
4 tbsp. raw cacao powder
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cup coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas
1 cup pitted dates
1 cup chopped pitted dates
¾ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients into a bowl.
3. Blend together 1 cup of the milk, vanilla extract, bananas and 1 cup pitted dates until you have a smooth mixture.
4. Mix in wet mixture with dry ingredients. Gradually stir in the ½ cup of milk until you have a cake-like batter.
6. Line a cupcake sheet with about six to eight cupcake liners. Fill each muffin cup equally to the top with the batter.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Take out of the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy with glass of your favorite nut-based milk!
Also by Jessica: How to Make Vegan Sushi
Photo: Jessica Renae