To make this traditional Thai street food vegan friendly, I had to eliminate the eggs and modify the sauce. The flavor is still just as delightful, regardless of the change. I also pumped up the veggies in this dish with red pepper and carrots. Looking to add protein? Toss in some tofu and add extra crushed peanuts. This spicy yet sweet dish is quick, easy, and will help satisfy your desire for a local Thai dish.
Vegan Pad Thai
- 1 package rice noodles
- 1 carrot, spiralized
- 1 red pepper, spiralized
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh spring onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
1. Place the uncooked noodles in a bowl of cold water to soak.
2. Spiralize or slice the carrots and the red peppers.
3. In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
4. In a large pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and add the veggies. Stir fry the veggies until they are soft. Once cooked, remove the veggies to a plate.
5. Drain the noodles from the cold water. Heat up another tablespoon of oil and add the garlic. Cook garlic for about one minute then add the noodles. Stir fry the noodles for about one minute.
6. Add the sauce and stir fry until the sauce thickens, about one to two minutes. Combine the veggies to the mix.
7. Move to a plate and garnish with spring onions and crushed peanuts. You may also add chili flakes for an extra kick.
Photo: Jess Davis