Cherry Walnut Milkshake With Cardamom and Vanilla
- 1 cup Raw walnuts
- 3 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen cherries (if in season, use fresh)
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Cardamom
- 1-2 Date (optional)
1. Toast walnuts on stove-top over medium heat until they begin to brown slightly and become aromatic, carefully monitoring to make sure they don’t burn.
2. Transfer toasted walnuts and water to a high speed blender and blend for 1 minute or until blended completely.
3. Pour walnut milk into a cheese cloth, nut milk bag, or a fine mesh sieve (I used the latter, and while it’s probably considered sacrilege among some foodies, it does the trick in a pinch), separating the walnut pulp from the milk. To collect the milk, place a large bowl under your cheesecloth or mesh sieve. Pour milk into a large bottle, reserving about 2/3 cup for your milkshake.
4. Place walnut milk, cherries, chia seeds, vanilla extract, and cardamom in blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste, and add a date or two if you prefer a sweeter milkshake.
5. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to absorb some of the liquid before serving.
6. Serve and swoon 🙂
Photo: Molly Lansdowne