Polenta, by the way, is a great gluten-free option, plus the skillet baking minimizes the oil by at least half–a win-win. Enjoy! 😀
Vegan Polenta Mushroom Pancake
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cap portobello mushroom, sliced
- 6 white button mushrooms, sliced
- to taste fresh black pepper
- handful spinach, trimmed and cut
1. Bring 3 cups water to boil in a medium sauce pan. When it is boiling, add polenta, 1/2 tsp salt, garlic powder, herbs, nutritional yeast, and 2 tsp olive oil. Stir to combine and quickly reduce heat to simmer. Stir in spinach. Cook, stirring and scraping occasionally with a spatula, for 12-15 minutes or so, or until the texture turns pudding-like and polenta pulls away from the sauce pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. While the polenta is cooking, bring the rest of olive oil to medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Add mushrooms, salt generously, and cook gently stirring for about 5 minutes. You may also cover with a lid to steam the mushrooms a bit, until they are all tender. Add fresh ground black pepper.
3. Transfer the mushrooms to another plate. Spoon cooked polenta into the cast iron skillet and gently press down with the spatula, pushing the edges up the sides. Top with the mushrooms and press them down into the polenta.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes, until the edges turn crispy.
Love this article? Keep up-to-date on the latest from Peaceful Dumpling: Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling