While the toffees I found looked mouthwatering, they were a little pricy for my budget- especially once shipping costs were factored in.
During my browsing, I was checking out the ingredients of the online toffees and saw that they were relatively simple. Almost all of them were items I currently have in my kitchen. This discovery was inspiration for me to try making my own toffee.
This vegan variation couldn’t have been easier to make. It only took about 30 minutes total. It would be a great last-minute holiday gift!
Vegan 5 Ingredient Chocolate Toffee
1 cup vegan buttery spread (like Earth Balance)
1 cup organic cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
1 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 – 2/3 cup chopped almonds
1/4 – 1/3 cup dried cranberries
1. Combine first three ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook on medium heat
2. Once butter is melted, bring to a boil
3. Continue to cook until sugar has dissolved and the mixture reaches 285ºF (you will want to use a food thermometer to test)
4. Once it’s at proper temperature, remove from heat and pour onto cookie sheet lined in wax or parchment paper
5. While toffee is cooling, melt chocolate chips in a double broiler
6. Spread melted chocolate evenly over cooled toffee and sprinkle with almonds/cranberries
7. Place toffee in freezer for 30 minutes or more
8. When ready to serve, remove from freezer and break toffee into chunks (you may want to hit it against a countertop or crack it with a hammer)
9. Store leftovers in the freezer
According to my gift recipient, this toffee tastes just as good (if not better) than the white sugar & butter-laden stuff. Make a batch for someone special in your life, even if that person is yourself! 🙂
More Vegan holiday recipes: Cashew Kale Stuffed Seitan Roast
Photo: Quincy Malesovas