Every now and then, I enjoy breaking away from my standard French roast and coconut milk morning coffee. The following recipe for Vegan Hemp Milk Chai Latte is wonderful for company—or when you have a little extra time for yourself. The chai spices are warming, comforting, and invigorating—the ideal blend for a chilly weekend morning.
You can make this latte hot, iced, or à la frappe, depending on your preference. (I’m a hot coffee person, myself—even in July!) Your chai latte may be served with fresh fruit, ginger snaps, or pumpkin muffins—mmm! For non-dairy milk suggestions, please consult our barista’s guide for milk alternatives.
Hemp Milk Chai Tea Latte
2 ½ cups filtered water
3 black tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean (or substitute 1 tbsp. of vanilla extract, added at the very end of the concentration process)
1/8 cup stevia (or ¼ cup sugar)
1” chunk of fresh ginger root, peeled
3 cardamom pods (or 1 tsp. ground cardamom)
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
5 whole cloves (or 1 tsp. ground cloves)
1 tsp. orange zest
(Makes one serving)
1 cup hemp milk (or non-dairy milk; soy and coconut are also good options—almond milk may take on a “burned” flavor if you’re making the latte hot, however.)
1/3-1/2 cup chai concentrate, depending on how strong you want your latte
½ cup strong coffee (or 1 espresso shot)
sweetener of choice
small handful of ice (if making iced or frappé latte)
1. Tie tea bags together and remove paper tags. Place cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, ginger root, cardamom pods, cloves, and orange zest on a small cheesecloth and tie off with twine. If you don’t have cheesecloth, you can add spices directly to the water, just be sure to carefully strain the mixture one you’re done.
2. Bring water to a boil in a small saucer. Reduce to a simmer and add stevia/sugar and spices. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and remove spices or strain. Add vanilla extra, if necessary, and allow the concentrate to cool.
4. To store, place in an airtight container (a mason jar works well), and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
1. Mix chai concentrate, hemp milk, coffee, and sweetener. Whisk well.
2. If making a hot latte, pour the mixture into a small saucer and warm over medium heat, being careful not to let the mixture boil.
3. If making a cold latte, pour mixutre over ice—or, for a frappé, place latte blend and ice in a blender and purée.
4. Serve with a dash of ground cinnamon and enjoy!
More comforting vegan recipes: No Coffee Vegan Latte
Photos: Mary Hood