Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese Portobello Burgers
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 box Shell pasta
- 1/4 cup Vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Miso paste
- 1 tbsp Agave
- 1 cup Unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 4 Burger buns
- Lettuce and tomato for burger garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Bring water to a boil for the pasta.
3. Prepare the portobellos: de-stem and clean, then rub with olive oil and worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Bake until you can easily pierce with a fork, about 20 minutes.
4. While the portobellos are baking and pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce:
5. Make a roux by melting margarine in a small saucepan. Once melted, whisk in flour to make a thick paste. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add tahini, soy sauce, lemon juice, miso, and agave. Whisk to combine.
6. Add non-dairy milk, and whisk. Then add nutritional yeast and turmeric. Whisk constantly until sauce thickens and bubbles. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Combine cheese sauce with pasta, and your mac and cheese is done.
8. Assemble your burgers with buns, lettuce, tomato, and whatever other toppings you like. In the picture, I have the mac and cheese on the bottom, then the portobello, a baked onion ring, tomato, lettuce, and barbecue sauce.
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Photo: Maddy Strassler