Lately, it has been so cold outside that I’ve wanted nothing more than to lie around all morning (and afternoon 🙂 ) watching Game of Thrones and making brunch. In light of the last “snowpocalypse” in Massachusetts and in preparation for today’s sweeping storm, I’ve been scouring different sources for delicious recipes to try out. There was a recipe posted a while back on Gothamist NY for vegan crab cakes that I have always wanted to try, and have finally made them! The radish and hearts of palm mixture is the perfect substitute for crab meat, and I found them to be absolutely delicious topped on a bed of spring mix. Combined with a glass of Prosecco with pomegranate seeds, this was truly the perfect “snow day” brunch.
Vegan Crab Cakes
(Adapted from a recipe on Gothamist)
Large bunch of radishes, finely grated
1 can of hearts of palm, drained and finely chopped
2-3 tbsp veganaise
Old Bay seasoning (to your liking)
1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil to fry
1. Mix grated radishes and hearts of palm in a bowl until thoroughly mixed. In either a layer of cheesecloth or thick paper towels, wring the radish and hearts of palm mixture until almost dry. Discard liquid.
2. Combine grated radishes and hearts of palm with veganaise, dill, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
3. Heat a skillet with a small amount of oil. Prepare small patties and (optional) pat with breadcrumbs to create a nice coating.
4. Fry each side for about one minute until browned.
5. Serve on top of a bed of greens and beverage of your choice!
More vegan brunch recipes: Shiitake Bacon Breakfast Hash
Photo: Karina Alexander