There’s no doubt squats are one of the most effective exercises for a firmer and curvier behind. Doing different squat variations to make the traditional squat even more effective and interesting is key. Your body will respond better to your workout and you’ll be on your way to a tighter, more toned butt. When done properly, a good squat requires you to drop the hips slightly back and down with your weight on your heels so that your knees do not pass your toes. This engages the back of the legs and butt as opposed to putting pressure on the knees. Keeping your back as flat as possible and your shoulders from rounding forward while squatting will also strengthen your core muscles. Try these 5 squat variations to spice up your workout and get a toned butt in time for beach season.
1. Curtsey Squat– Lower into a squat position with your hands in front of your chest. Cross your right foot behind to the left and get slightly deeper into your squat. Bring your right leg back to the starting position and repeat. Do 15 to each side.
2. Oblique Squat– Turn your legs out with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-distance apart. Place your hands behind your head. Squat down with your chest lifted and as you stand up, pull one knee up to the side. Crunch the side with the knee up so that your elbow touches your knee. Lower back down into your squat as you straighten your torso out. Repeat on the other side to complete one rep. Do 20 reps.
3. Toe Tap Squat– Do a traditional squat and hold it with your hands in front of your chest. Staying as low as you can without collapsing your back, extend one leg out to the side and tap the toe on the ground before bringing it back in. Repeat on the other leg without coming up. Do 15 reps.
4. Surrender Squat– Squat down with your feet hip distance apart and your hands behind your head. Keep your elbows open to the sides. Lower your right knee to the floor without allowing your hips to lift any higher. Lower your left knee to the floor. Bring your right foot forward and then your left foot back into your squat position without straightening the legs. Do 15 reps.
5. Single Leg Squat– Stand with your legs together in parallel. Hold your arms straight out in front of you for balance. Lift one leg off the ground slightly in front of you. Lower your hips down and back as far as you can go while keeping the front leg lifted. Push off the standing heel to get back up. Do 10-15 on each leg.
Do this squat workout 3-4 times a week and watch your booty transform!
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Video: Crystal Chin; Music: “First Time” by Kygo and Ellie Goulding