Zucchini Chocolate Cake Truffles (Gluten-Free Vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Chocolate Dip
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch sea salt or sugar in the raw (for decoration)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Pour the coconut oil and vegetable oil into a bowl, and cream together with the brown sugar.
3. Once the oil/sugar mixture is light and fluffy, slowly incorporate soy milk and vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, combine instant coffee, cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Create a well and incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry. Stir to combine.
6. Wash and grate ½ cup of zucchini, stirring into the cake mixture.
7. Pour in a 9 inch round cake pan dish and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes (should still be slightly gooey).
8. Remove from oven and break the cake apart into crumbles.
9 Roll the cake crumbles into 1 inch balls while still warm (the cake should be moist enough to stick together in ball form while rolling).
10. Freeze overnight.
11. The next day, mix cocoa powder, coconut oil, and maple syrup and melt in a microwave for 30 seconds or in a pot. Stir until well combined
12. Dip the frozen cake truffles into the chocolate mixture. The chocolate dip should freeze instantly on the truffles.
13. Sprinkle with sea salt or sugar in the raw, and serve immediately or store in a freezer.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick