This Winter TLC Fire Cider is a natural remedy that can be taken (1 tablespoon daily) to aid digestion and reduce inflammation throughout the body. It also works as an anti-viral, an anti-bacterial, and a decongestant. I recommend taking this tonic once daily during cold and flu season, or if you prefer, you can take it at the first sign of a cold. Can be added also to smoothies or with your favorite salad dressing.
Fire cider can be made with whatever you fill drawn to for the season! Basics include; onion, garlic, ginger, fresh horseradish, citrus, spicy peppers, herbs and spices.
This natural remedy is super versatile! This year I’m playing with ingredients and used Echinacea too. Echinacea is well-known to help combat the common cold and other infections.
Feel free to have fun making this potion. There is no strict rule when it comes to this oxymel.
I do not add any sweeteners in my Fire Cider but you can add some agave or maple syrup if you like yours less sour.
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup Horseradish, fresh
- 2 Jalapeños
- 6 Garlic, cloves
- 2 inches Ginger root
- 1 tablespoons Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Echinacea, dried
- 2 tablespoons Rosemary, dried
- 1 litre Apple cider vinegar, with the mother
1. Place your ingredients, all chopped up in a big jar, add the apple cider vinegar until covered and put a lid on it.
2. Keep in a cool dark place for 4–6 weeks, shaking daily if possible!
3. Once ready, strain the vinegar and bottle. Keep at room temp for 6 months or in the fridge for up to 18 months!
Hope you all give this a try!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Yana Iskayeva via Unsplash (2 glasses with orange slices); Roberta Farrugia (rest)