If you want, you could also customize these burgers and sneak more veggies in. Just make sure the ingredients are soft and cooked through, and at least room temperature or cooler. Ideas: cooked carrot, courgettes, or small pieces of spinach. Once you've got the hang of this recipe, you could even use a can of chickpeas or tofu instead, though in these cases you might need to adjust the amount of flour added. Happy cooking!
Whole Plant-Based Black Bean Patties With Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 Large onion
- 1 can Black Beans
- 2/3 cup Brown Rice Flour, sifted
- 1 large Carrot
- 1/3 cup Barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 cup Water
1. Finely dice 1/2 a large onion.
2. Slice the carrots into thick diagonal slices.
3. Drain the black beans, keeping about 3 tbsp of its juice.
4. Blend the onion and black beans, including the juice.
5. Add the brown rice flour and blend again. The patty mixture should be firm and it shouldn’t stick to your hands. If it does, add 1/2 tsp olive oil. That should help combine the ingredients while preventing any stickiness.
6. Shape into large patties. You should end up with 6-8 patties.
7. Heat the barbecue sauce, ketchup and soy sauce in a medium-sized pan or pot. Add the carrots. Gradually add water and stir frequently as it begins to form a glaze. Leave this to simmer for 10-15 minutes – it’s time to fry the patties.
8. Heat some oil in a large pan on medium high and fry 3-4 patties at a time. Let each side cook for about 5 minutes before flipping.
9. To plate, pour the sauce over the patties. Serve with carrots and your choice of fresh greens. Enjoy! 🙂
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Debbie Tan