My local zero-waste shop doesn't have a wide range of products but I can always get the ingredients for this dish. This recipe has no waste except the offcuts of vegetables. These can either be added to vegetable stock or composted.
Strips of courgette are roasted with lemon and garlic then added to pasta with a light olive oil dressing. The roasted garlic and lemon are whisked up with the delicious extra virgin olive oil to pack loads of flavor into this simple dish.
This recipe uses really simple ingredients and brings out new flavors. Roasting lemon gives it a delicious caramel note which cuts through the acidity, and roasting the garlic reduces its sharpness and mellows out the flavor to a gentle fragrance.
This dish lasts well in the fridge so is perfect for making ahead, it is also equally as delicious cold (the flavor actually gets better after a couple of days) so it is great for lunch on the go.
Vegan Zucchini And Roasted Lemon Pasta
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 250 g pasta
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 red chili (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 225°C.
2. Cut off the top and bottom of the courgettes. Cut the courgettes in half widthwise then lengthways so you have quartered them.
Slice into strips then put on a baking tray with the vegetable oil, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and the whole garlic cloves.
3. Zest the lemon and put it aside to use another time. Cut the lemon in half and add to the tray with the courgette.
4. Bake for 30 minutes until the courgette is soft and the lemon has started to caramelize at the edges.
5. Cook the pasta in salted water for 10 minutes or until al dente
while the pasta is cooking, carefully remove the roasted garlic cloves from their skin and finely chop.
6. Add the garlic to a jar with the olive oil, juice from the roasted lemon, salt and pepper. Put on a securely fitting lid and shake until combined.
7. Finely chop the parsley and chili.
8. Reserve 1/4 mug of the pasta cooking water.
9. Drain the pasta, put it back into the pan and add the courgettes, olive oil dressing and reserved pasta water. Mix until the pasta is coated in the dressing. Taste the pasta and adjust seasoning to taste.
10. Stir through most of the parsley and chili, reserving a little to sprinkle over the top.
Also by Katharine: Vegan Biscoff Rocky Road Bars
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Katharine Hopkins