Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes: Lentil Meatloaf w/ Caramelized Onions
- 1 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup oats, ground
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- to taste sea salt
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
2. In a large pot, add the lentils, rice, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer for about 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
3. When the lentils and rice are done, take half of the mixture and add to the food processor. Process slightly, so it is ground up but still a bit chunky. (I found that this helps the mixture stay together better.)
4. Place the mixture into a bowl. Season with garlic, cumin, and sea salt.
5. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax with 4 tablespoons of water.
6. Add the ground oats and flax to the mixture and stir well to combine.
7. Press the lentil mixture into a greased loaf pan, top with the chopped almonds. Bake at 375°F for 20 - 25 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and serve topped with the caramelized onions and a drizzle of tahini.
Also by Kathryn: Vegan Butternut Squash Mac n' Cheese
Related: Spaghetti and Vegan Meatballs
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kathryn Farrugia