Move over cinnamon! There’s a new spice in town. And can we ever get enough of chocolate, reaaallly? This new twist inspired by combining two old favorites—cinnamon buns and chocolate croissants—will awaken your senses and soothe your soul, all in one bite! I make a variation of these for a cafe in Bermuda and they are a top seller. These are great to bring to your next Sunday brunch or enjoyed snuggled on the couch with a good book!
Vegan Swedish Chocolate Cardamom Rolls
- 3 + 1/3 cups plus more for rolling Organic Unbleached Flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Organic Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Organic Vegetable Shortening or Margarine
- 1 packet Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Organic Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
1. Make the sponge. Combine 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of flour with 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 packet of yeast and 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoons of warm water. Cover with a dish towel and let sit to the side for 15 minutes. The sponge should double in size.
2. Add in 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of applesauce and 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoons of shortening. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Mix in the coconut milk until smooth.
4. Add the remaining 2 + 3/4 cups of flour and combine by hand until a solid dough forms. If your dough is wet, add 1 tablespoon of extra flour at a time until it is sticky but pulls away from your hands when touched.
5. Cover your bowl of dough with a damp cloth and put it somewhere warm to rise for 1 hour. I like to put mine on top of the dryer in my laundry room as I do laundry simultaneously.
6. Now it’s time to roll out your dough. It should have risen by at least 50%. Sprinkle flour on your desired surface in a 12 inches in height by 18 inches in length area. In a few steps you will be cutting on this surface, so I suggest using a silicone mat or heavy duty parchment paper at least 12 inches by 18 inches to offer some protection to your counter.
7. Coat your rolling pin (or your hands) in flour and roll (or spread) out the dough to cover your floured surface.
8. In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup shortening or margarine, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of cardamom and combine thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly over surface of dough.
9. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the right half side of your dough.
10. Take the left corners of your dough rectangle to meet the right hand corners. (Like folding a piece of paper in half). Press down on top of dough to secure the chips.
11. With a sharp knife, cut dough from top to bottom into 8 equal strips. (If you are making 16 rolls, then cut once lengthwise in center to make 16 shorter strips).
12. Grease a 12 inch by 18 inch cookie sheet and set close by your dough.
13. Starting at the base, roll the strips upwards, tucking tightly to create a swirl. Place on the cookie sheet. Repeat with all remaining strips.
14. Cover the rolls on the cookie sheet with the damp cloth and return to the warm area for 20 minutes for a little extra rise. They should double in size.
15. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F while you wait.
16. Bake the rolls for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
17. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
18. Enjoy! 😊
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Nea Pantry