Sushi. Delicious flavour, quite fiddly to make. Are your sushi platters a winner – or a dog’s dinner?! Or maybe you just fancy all of the sushi flavour with none of the faff? Try this super quick, flavoursome sushi bowl, packed full of colourful veggies. The miso paste is my secret ingredient – it’s got that delicious umami flavour. This dish is really easy to be intermittent fasting friendly too – it can easily come in at 500 calories if you’re on the 5:2 diet. Just switch the oil to water when frying (or steam), and omit the avocado. Best of all you can make it with whatever you have in your fridge – an alternative can be a super fresh, raw salad version using cucumber, carrot and leaves. Either way, it’s a mouthwatering way to use up veg and avoid waste.
Quick, Colorful Vegan Sushi Bowl (Intermittent Fasting Friendly)
- 150g sushi rice
- 1 packet extra firm tofu
- 100g mini sweet corn
- 50g tenderstem broccoli
- 50g green beans
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 1 bell pepper
- 100g baby courgette
- half avocado
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 nori sheet
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- small piece fresh or pickled ginger
- dash wasabi paste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
1. Put the sushi rice on to boil. Cook to instructions on packet.
2. Chop and slice the veg, and chop the tofu into small cubes.
3. When the rice is cooked, add the rice vinegar and miso paste to the sushi rice. Mix well and set aside for a few minutes.
4. Shallow fry the veg and tofu (you can water fry if you’re trying to keep it low-cal).
5. When the veg is almost cooked, add the soy sauce and mix in. The amount of soy sauce may vary depending on preference and the type you’re using.
6. Add the rice to the bowl. Arrange tofu and veggies on top, including 1/4 avocado per bowl. Garnish with shredded nori sheets (I use scissors!).
7. Add thinly sliced ginger or pickled ginger and wasabi, if desired.
8. If using, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Grab your reusable chopsticks and enjoy!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Kirstie Fleetwood