I added some lemon juice and zest to the batter to brighten up this breakfast. Strawberries make the perfect companion to lemons so I macerated some to create a quick topping. To macerate berries, you simply soak them in a little liquid and sugar until they begin to soften and release their juices. I recommend doing this the night before for the best results but this is not necessary. You can also top your French toast with some vegan butter, maple syrup. confectioners sugar, and coconut whipped cream.
Vegan Strawberry Lemon French Toast
- For the topping:
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- For the french toast:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices thick sliced bread
1. Start by making the strawberry topping. In a small mixing bowl, add the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Set aside until your french toast is finished cooking.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, add the chickpea flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Whisk together.
3. Stir in the almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Stir until there are no lumps.
4. Heat the butter over a large pan over medium heat until it melts.
5. Dip each slice of bread into the batter and flip and repeat until lightly coated, one at a time.
6. Cook french toast for 3-4 minutes on each side, until it begins to turn golden brown.
7. Remove from heat and to with the strawberries and whatever else you would like.
Also see: Pomegranate Almond Tabouleh
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote