- 3 cooked beets
- 1 cup coconut (or almond) milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup diced purple onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- to taste salt & pepper
- to top alfalfa sprouts
- for the crème fraîche:
- 1 can coconut creme
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- to taste salt
2. Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat and add in the onions. Let them caramelize for a minute or two and remove from heat.
3. Add the beets, cooked onions, milk, broth, cilantro, and fresh ginger to a blender. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and limes into the blender. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend well.
4. Pour this into a pot and warm it over medium heat.
5. To make the crème fraîche, take the thick top layer of coconut cream from the can and scoop it into a small blender or pulser. Add the lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Blend until smooth.
6. To serve, top soup with crème fraîche and alfalfa sprouts. I put the crème fraîche into a plastic baggie and cut off one of the corners to pipe it onto the soup.
Also by Lauren: Pistachio Rose Water Belgian Waffles
Related: Roasted Veggie and Wild Green Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote