I'm not sure I'm the only one that's intimidated by cooking with whole pumpkins. Besides pumpkin carving on Halloween, I've avoided chopping and roasting this particular squash because it seems time-consuming and cumbersome, not to mention a bit dangerous if you don't have a good knife! But this past weekend, I finally worked up the nerve to chop, de-seed, and roast a small pumpkin for this soup, and it was completely worth it. That said, if you're not ready to take on this kitchen project (no judgment here!), you can use another squash that's easier to handle. I'm in love with the flavors featured in this soup: spicy ginger and jalapeno, savory pumpkin, and punchy curry. Besides the time roasting the squash, this soup comes together quickly and easily. It's perfect for making on a slow Sunday morning and enjoying throughout the week. Serve with some toast or garlic bread for a perfect fall meal!
Vegan Soup Recipes: Spicy Pumpkin Curry Soup
Recipe Type: Detox Soups and Stews
YIELDS 4-6 servings
- 4 cups roasted pumpkin (or butternut squash, sweet potato, etc.), chopped into 2
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, plus more for serving
- For topping: parsley, roasted corn, toasted pecans...whatever you have on hand!
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush chopped pumpkin or other squash with a bit of olive oil and place on a cookie sheet and roast until they are browning and can be pierced with a fork. 2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and celery and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add carrots, jalapeno, curry powder, ginger, turmeric, and salt and pepper, sautéing for another 10 minutes. 3. Add pumpkin and vegetable broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. 4. Using an immersion or upright blender, blend soup until smooth. Stir in coconut milk. Serve immediately with toppings of choice.
Also by Molly: Vegan Pumpkin Lasagna
Related: Vegan Sweet Potato Apple Soup
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne